17 June 2019

Switched to Keppel Electric, Saved Some

The liberalization of the electricity supply market has thrown up a multitude of options for power suppliers and consumers. Each of the suppliers has tried to differentiate from the rest. So of course, that makes it really hard for consumers to figure out what works best for them.

I decided to go with Keppel Electric on their fixed price plan, betting on the assumption that prices will only keep going up. I mean, does it ever come down? Ever?

Got a bit confused with the billing system.  During the transition period, I continued to receive the ol' SingPower bills. These were for the rest of the services - e.g. gas and water. It took some getting used to Keppel Electric, and I thought they weren't billing me initially. I eventually realised that I was receiving the Keppel Electric bills. They had gone all 'digital' - strictly via electronic means. That took some getting used to as I am more used to checking my bills that come in the through snail mail.

Setting up payment was quite simple though. Their Internet application is basic and simple. It was straightforward to set up routine GIRO or Visa payment arrangements.

So am I getting any saving by switching?  My average utility bill (power, water and gas) was averaging $230 prior to this. Since switching (based on 3 months data), it looks like it's now averaging $200. So presumably the switch has resulted in $30 saving from the energy bill.

p/s: The energy bill is on the high side due to heavy use of aircon in this household.

2 comments:

AndyTheCoach 93672286 said...

Keppel Electric is the market leader with 20% market share out of 12 players

Lizardo said...

AndyTheCoach,

I think the number of players will shrink over time.

Have you switched as well?